GiP Forum *Forbidden*

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 10:48:01 EDT 2013

On 19/07/2013 10:50, Jonathan H wrote:
> So it maybe that he doesn't want to remove the iplayer page, but a
> quick tweak would take it down the results.

I suppose I should have said the the get_iplayer section of the site is
dead.  Other sections may still be in use.  The site is owned by the guy
who wrote get_iplayer and most pages have pretty obvious disclaimers
that he abandoned it.  However, the old documentation page and the
non-functioning forum page don't have that notice.  Presumably the OP
searched for "get_iplayer forums" and would up there, none the wiser.

Until a few months ago linuxcentre.net had the only content that could
pass for get_iplayer documentation, so it was just as well it was
hanging around.  But that problem has now been remedied. Between the
squarepenguin.co.uk guides and the GitHub project wiki, we now have
better current documentation that can be updated as needed.

Considered in the abstract, it isn't good that the most visible site for
the project is dead.  But, most of the links in those pages already
redirect to infradead.org, where users can at least find a link to
current documentation.  Now that we have taken over the documentation,
maybe he'll do the same for the top-level get_iplayer-related pages as
well, or take up one of your suggestions.  Anything that helps
get_iplayer users find up-to-date information would be welcomed by me as
someone who tries to support the application.