New Website

Square Penguin hello at squarepenguin.co.uk
Tue Jul 16 20:20:15 EDT 2013

To address a few points:

iplayer in URL: There is nothing wrong with having 'iplayer' in the URL
as far as I am aware. The site does not generate revenue (which is key)
or seek to dilute the trademark. Legal precedent for this is well
established. Check out 'ryan air sucks' for just one notable example
that's still alive after 8+ years, if stagnant.

Use of Logo: That is get_iplayer's logo and always has been as far as I
am aware. It is on the front page of this mailing list. If someone would
like to do another one I'd be more than happy to use it, but if the BBC
decides to go after get_iplayer, it won't be over the logo.

The name: get_iplayer is called get_iplayer. It has iplayer in the name.
If we are concerned that the use of 'iplayer' is the reason the Beeb
would shut it down, we should change the name of the software itself.
Radio Downloader did not avoid takedown by avoiding the use of 'iplayer'.

Visibility of get_iplayer: The previous guide has seen thousands,
actually tens of thousands of unique visitors and has been sat on the
front page for months under very popular search terms such as 'iplayer
guide'. Additionally, the software has been available for many many
years and the Beeb is well aware of it. It's important to note that
Radio Downloader didn't have any protection from takedown by 'hiding
under a rock' and nor (logically) would get_iplayer.

I am happy to use the squarepenguin.co.uk URL and change the logo if
someone provides one, but ask yourself if you think it would truly make
any difference in light of Radio Downloader?