New get_iplayer website & forums

Tony Scholl ajscholl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 18:25:16 EDT 2013

>> The site went 'live' yesterday and you can find the it at the link below,
>> along with my reasons for creating it which are to be found on the blog:
>>
>> http://getiplayer.co.uk

I want to agree strongly with the sentiments of those who think this
is very likely
to elicit an unwelcome response from the BBC.

The domain name "getiplayer.co.uk", which incorporates a registered trademark
of the BBC, together with the presence of the iplayer logo (also copyright) is
bound to attract the attention of the BBC's copyright lawyers sooner or later.
(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I do have direct knowledge of a very similar
situation involving another website whose domain name made injudicious
use of a trademark, which did not have an entirely happy ending.) At that point
they will look at what service the site provides, see that it enables users to
(technically) violate BBC's terms of service, and that may be the end of GiP
as we know it, judging from what BBC has done in the past.

I love GiP and have quietly been using it very happily since its earliest days.
Congratulations to SquarePenguin for a very nice website which will benefit
a lot of people, especially newbies, and keep the traffic on the list
down. I hate
to be a killjoy, but please think about moving back to squarepenguin.co.uk and
removing the iplayer logo before running into big trouble, which may
spoil all our fun.

Tony