"Re:" subject mail issue

J K.Eason john at jeason.cix.co.uk
Sun Jul 7 04:36:00 EDT 2013

> My main browser is Firefox, now in v22.0; when I browse to
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2013-July/date.html
>
> all I see is something like this:
>
> (bold black dot)   James Cook
>
> the same happens with IE8 and Opera 12.16.
>
> However, when I tried Google Chrome Dev 29.0.1547.0 and
> Opera 15.0.1147.130, which are both WebKit based, I see something
> like this:
>
> (bold black dot) _ James Cook
>
> In this case, the "underscore" is clickable and directs me to:
>
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2013-July/004499.ht
> ml
>
> I guess I fell victim to the browser wars!

That message doesn't actually have anything except "Re:" in the subject
line, probably because the message it's replying to has a subject of "--
No subject --"!
It's probably the way the browsers handle HTML links that have no text
content in them. I guess Chrome adds an underscore as a place marker if
it finds an empty string in the HTML source code so that it's able to
display a link, but the others don't.

Regards
       John