How to install get_iplayer on WinXP with perl already installed?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 14:06:55 EDT 2013

On 05/07/2013 18:40, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> So I'll uninstall all of that and go back to a standalone Strawberry Perl,
> and get 5.16.2.1 - which is not the current stable one, but I guess it's
> better that I use the same version as you develop with.

If you like, but 5.14 will be fine if you want to stick with your
current setup.  Just don't install the secure email modules.  You won't
miss them

>> All I can tell you is that all the modules install just fine with
>> Strawberry Perl 5.16.2.1.  There would be no installer otherwise.
>
> And those extra modules are normally installed by cpan/cpanm without telling
> it to bypass tests?

Yep

> Maybe SP 5.16.2.1 (or earlier, but more recent than 5.14.x) has a dll or
> something that provides random number support for those parts of Windows
> perl that can't use the /dev/random that unixy systems seem to need - for
> which EGD was some sort of workaround.

That could be the case.  Older versions of those modules worked in 5.12
(what the previous installer used), but I skipped 5.14 for get_iplayer,
so there may have been a wobble there.  Just the fact that module exists
with "ButMaintained" in its tells you all you need to know.