How to install get_iplayer on WinXP with perl already installed?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 11:14:20 EDT 2013

On 05/07/2013 15:01, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer wrote:
> These almost all worked.  The install of
>
>    Net::SMTP::TLS::ButMaintained
>
> failed because during the test phase of its install it couldn't find a
> random number generator.  I did follow a suggestion to install something
> called 'egd' - an Entropy Gathering Daemon  - but that also failed during
> its tests.

No idea.  Do you have the same distribution of Strawberry Perl used for
the installer (5.16.2.1)?

> If it comes to that, I don't understand why   get_iplayer   would need the
> ability to do SMTP at all - unless this module is required by some other
> module that does something more obviously necessary?

If you don't want to use get_iplayer's email functions, then don't
install the modules.  Most people don't have any use for it.  Somebody
submitted a broken implementation for secure email last year, and it
seemed like a good idea to fix it and integrate with get_iplayer.  If
you're going to offer email functions you might as well make it work
with GMail, right?  The state of secure email support in CPAN is a bit
shambolic, so I'm kind of sorry I bothered.  Net::SMTPS is on the way,
but too late for the this release.

> Before deciding to ask here, I looked at all of the installer stuff in the
> get_iplayer tarball, including the nsi config files, batch files etc.  So
> far as I can see if I were to use the pre-built windows installer, all that
> would actually do perl-wise is unpack on my system a copy of perl, modules
> etc that had been packaged up on the developer's system.  That doesn't help
> me to understand how a developer with a Windows system would themselves
> manage to install the Net::SMTP::TLS::ButMaintained module.

The installer scripts are irrelevant to how you do your own DIY
installation.  The installer can only be built from a full working
Strawberry Perl installation with the optional modules for get_iplayer
installed from CPAN just like normal, so there is no need to know how
the installer is built.  CPAN and Windows don't always make a happy
marriage, but it can be done.  All I can tell you is that all the
modules install just fine with Strawberry Perl 5.16.2.1.  There would be
no installer otherwise.

> I also note that the list of modules mentioned on the help webpage is
> somewhat different from those mentioned, first in INSTALLER.md, which says

INSTALLER.md has been updated but not committed to Git repo.  The latest
installer is still getting a shakedown, so I won't commit changes until
final.  I would ignore that document, anyway.  All you need to know is
what modules to install, and you can get that from the installation page
in the GitHub wiki.

> in its BUILD NOTES that the following moduels will be included in
> perlfiles.zip:
>
>       XML::LibXML::SAX
>       XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser
>       XML::SAX::PurePerl
>       XML::Parser

That section only refers to XML parsers.  The MP3 modules are noted
elsewhere.  You don't need to care about this.  Strawberry Perl comes
with both LWP and XML::Simple (with all the supporting parsers) already
installed.

> so I'm wondering if in fact the help-page's list of modules is correct?

If you're referring to the installation instructions in the GitHub wiki,
it's correct.