How to install get_iplayer on WinXP with perl already installed?

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Jul 5 10:01:01 EDT 2013

dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:

>See the installation instructions for one way to do it:
>https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/installation

It took me a while to get started on this, but I've run into a problem.

I first installed the PADRE perl IDE which comes with a bundled instance of
Strawberry Perl.  I've made sure PATH and PATHEXT have suitable values in
them and I can run perl programs either from any command prompt or by double
clicking the .pl file.

I then used cpan to install cpanminus.  After that I used cpanm to (try to)
install the modules that the help page says I will need, namely:

  LWP
  MP3::Info
  MP3::Tag
  Net::SMTP::SSL
  Net::SMTP::TLS::ButMaintained
  XML::Simple

These almost all worked.  The install of

  Net::SMTP::TLS::ButMaintained

failed because during the test phase of its install it couldn't find a
random number generator.  I did follow a suggestion to install something
called 'egd' - an Entropy Gathering Daemon  - but that also failed during
its tests.

I guess I can probably force install   Net::SMTP::TLS::ButMaintained  with a
--force or --notest parameter on the cpanm command, but I don't know if
that's a good idea.

If it comes to that, I don't understand why   get_iplayer   would need the
ability to do SMTP at all - unless this module is required by some other
module that does something more obviously necessary?

Before deciding to ask here, I looked at all of the installer stuff in the
get_iplayer tarball, including the nsi config files, batch files etc.  So
far as I can see if I were to use the pre-built windows installer, all that
would actually do perl-wise is unpack on my system a copy of perl, modules
etc that had been packaged up on the developer's system.  That doesn't help
me to understand how a developer with a Windows system would themselves
manage to install the Net::SMTP::TLS::ButMaintained module.

I also note that the list of modules mentioned on the help webpage is
somewhat different from those mentioned, first in INSTALLER.md, which says
in its BUILD NOTES that the following moduels will be included in
perlfiles.zip:

     XML::LibXML::SAX
     XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser
     XML::SAX::PurePerl
     XML::Parser

and in the code inside  make-perlfiles.cmd  which seems to me to imply that
necessary modules which must be included in the perlfile tarball are

     MP3::Tag
     MP3::Info
     XML::LibXML::SAX
     XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser
     XML::SAX::PurePerl
     XML::Parser

so I'm wondering if in fact the help-page's list of modules is correct?

All help gratefully received!

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.