get_iplayer just stopped working

Alastair ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 17:13:41 EST 2013

Hi Jeb

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 19:27:01 +0000 Jeb Palmer wrote:

>On 27/01/2013 14:16, Alastair wrote:
>>I have uninstalled and re-installed get_iplayer and
>>rtmpdump from Packman repo as you have suggested.  Still getting the errors.
>
>Again, based on your original report, get_iplayer is not involved.  Did you reinstall librtmp0
>as well, and did you check that the versions of rtmpdump and librtmp0 match?  If you
>remove librtmp0, dependent packages like ffmpeg, mplayer and vlc will also be removed.
>Just make note of what you have to reinstall.  If you don't want to do that, you can try a
>forced install of librtmp0 in the hope that it might repair things. Make note of the
>librtmp.so.0 (see below) file size/date before and after the install to see if it changed.

I have done uninstall and re-install of get_iplayer, rtmpdump, librtmp0.  I had to force the
librtmp0 removal as there were 256 dependencies which otherwise would have had to be
rolled back.  All the versions appear to match except that ffmpeg is old version and I cannot
upgrade without having to roll back a many others.  This I don't understand.
I can post all the version numbers tomorrow but am on different machine right now.

>>I have run the dependency check as you suggested and as far as I can see everything
>>checks out except "librtmp.so.0() (64bit)"  required by rtmpdump which I cannot find in
>>any of the "provides" lists using software manager.  Of course it might be under my nose
>>and fatigue has blurred my vision but if you have any ideas please let me know.

>librtmp.so.0 is provided by the librtmp0 package, and it should be the same for 64-bit
>openSUSE. If "zypper what-provides librtmp.so.0" doesn't show that, then something is
>wrong with your package database.

It was there all the time and zypper confirmed it present.

The library itself should be found at >/usr/lib/librtmp.so.0.  If that file were missing, you
would see a "cannot open shared >object file" rather than a segfault, which is why I
suspected a version mismatch rather than
a missing library.

I seem to have two versions of librtmp.so.0. one in usr/lib64 of 115.6KiB modified
01/11/2012
and one in /usr/local/lib of 119.0 KiB modified 10/01/2012.  I am sure the latter is
redundant and have no idea why it is there.  The dates did not change with the
reinstallation!

Hope this helps.
Alastair.