rtmpdump updates for Ubuntu and derivatives

Alex Eames alex at translatortips.com
Wed Jan 23 05:07:54 EST 2013

Jon Davies <jon at hedgerows.org.uk> wrote ..

> as of now, the simplest way to install get-iplayer on a raspberry pi is:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install get-iplayer ffmpeg atomicparsley libmp3-info-perl

Excellent, I'll give that a try.

> (if I recall correctly this wouldn't have worked a few months ago when
> you started writing this stuff up)

No it wouldn't have.
Back in May/June 2012 you had to do a 4 hour compile of FFMPEG.
That went away with Raspbian, but you had to mess about with sources
to get things lined up right. I haven't played with it lately, but
people reported issues recently. Good to have some simpler instructions
to throw at them :)

> > If you make a raspbian repo, that will solve a lot of headaches for a lot of
> > people
> all this will actually do is give people access to more recent
> versions of rtmpdump, AtomicParsley and get-iplayer.  This does have
> advantages, in that rtmpdump should work better (particularly on fast
> connections), AtomicParsley will support a few more tags, and
> get-iplayer has the various fixes since 2.82.  But it works reasonably
> well out of the box now.

Well we're all (Pi users) used to frequent updates, so this is all good :)