FFmpeg 1.1 released

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:38:57 EST 2013

On 11/01/2013 14:44, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> I gather this means that FFmpeg has built-in rtmpdump functions (?).
> I know that the get_iplayer code is based on flvstreamer/rtmpdump
> for rtmp stream dumping, but is it possible - in theory, at least - for
> FFmpeg
> to perform both functions in a single step, something like this:
>
> ffmpeg -i rtmp://server/.../streamName -c copy dump.mp4

I've tested this before and found it didn't work reliably with iPlayer
downloads.  rtmpdump is much more robust.  FWIW, you can also build cURL
with librtmp.  It seemed to work OK, but I couldn't get it to quit
cleanly when a download was finished.

> ffmpeg -i
> mmsh://wm.bbc.co.uk/wms/radio4xcoyopa/radio_4_extra_-_monday_1400.wma
> -c:a copy radio_4_extra_-_monday_1400.asf
>
> FFmpeg RELIABLY dumped the stream IN ONE GO
> [...]
> Other than that, mms recording is far more stable & reliable than with
> Mplayer.
> Perhaps this fact should be taken into consideration in a future release of
> GIP and the mms recording be handed over to FFmpeg (since it is already
> needed

A good idea, but it would be well down my list.  My goal is to get rid
of mplayer entirely, which is a much bigger task that will have to wait
a bit.  The ffmpeg versions available in most Linux distros aren't new
enough to enable that in the immediate future.

> for flv remuxing - and audio transcoding in the --aactomp3 option); and I
> might be a bit bold here by suggesting the introduction of yet another
> dependency, but the CLI version of asfbin would be a nice addition, so
> that the
> dumped (by either Mplayer or FFmpeg) non-seekable file is automatically
> remuxed to a seekable/playable proper wma file. The x86 binary is a mere
> 506 KB, the amount of code to be added to the script shouldn't be much...
> But again, this is a personal opinion I am voicing...

AsfBinWin apparently isn't open source, so I wouldn't want it as a
get_iplayer dependency.  It would benefit very few users, and I think
get_iplayer should - as much as possible - stay out of solving
platform-specific problems.  Users can easily use --command to
post-process .asf downloads with AsfBinWin (or any other CLI application).