Stream corrupt error and then rtmpdump goes nuts

JB Caruth jbc-public at caruth.com
Fri Jan 4 05:46:25 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Neill Mitchell <neill at nlkmitchell.com> wrote:

> Hi. I assume as you are running on a Raspberry Pi you built rtmpdump
> yourself?

No - it's available as a binary in Raspbian for installation via apt-get.

> Obviously my x86_64 binary will not run on your ARM. The patch is quite easy
> if you have the build environment set up.

It's going to take me a while to get up that learning curve!

> To be honest, I think your Pi's processor will struggle with this. It's
> right on the edge with my quad core desktop processor. The fundamental
> problem is rtmpdump does not have any sort of flow control implemented. It
> just opens the network socket then grabs and processes the data as it comes
> in. What is really needed is for flow control to be added. This is beyond my
> very rusty C skills!

Thankfully things seem to have improved in recent days. I guess I'll
just see if it stays stable before expending a lot of effort.

Thanks for the information.

BTW, I do have end-to-end almost idiot-proof instructions I used to
set up get_iplayer on Raspberry Pi. I'd be glad to share them in
others were interested. Apart from the recent choking downloads it's
working well - it stores everything on my NAS and the Pi does the
downloading and the PVR.