Radio 1 webcam: what's the correct mode now?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 08:43:15 EST 2013

On 24/02/2013 18:35, Имя отправителя писем wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm watching the Radio 1 Official Chart video stream on Sundays and I've created a shortcut ages ago to start this stream in get_iplayer.
> The playlist is
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/emp/live/chart.xml
> and the command is
> C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/emp/live/chart.xml" --type=livetv --modes=best --stream --player="vlc/vlc-1.1.11/vlc -"
> it worked all the time, and now, today, all of a sudden, all it does is keeps returning:
> INFO: No specified modes (flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh,flashstd,flashnormal,flashlow) available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
>
> I tried adding --debug flag and from the output, it looks like it's looking for some awkward rdf address:
>
> new verpid http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/bbc_radio_one_video_
> liveINFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/bbc_radi
> o_one_video_live
> DEBUG: No Encoding used on http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/bbc_
> radio_one_video_live
> INFO: Getting page http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/simu
> lcast/bbc_radio_one_video.xml.rdf
> DEBUG: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/simulcast/bbc_ra
> dio_one_video.xml.rdf:
>
> this might be the reason or not, but the stream won't work. I've checked the playlist url and it's still the same, and the video runs fine on Radio 1 website.
> Any suggestions?

You're using --modes=best, which should be correct for a webcam stream.
  The attempt to access that bogus .rdf URL will fail and get_iplayer
will just continue on.  It shouldn't make any difference - get_iplayer's
internals just don't make a special case for embedded streams like
studio webcams.  I don't think there would be a RDF resource for a
webcam stream, anyway.

Next time, plug the various URLs into your browser (or wget, curl, etc.)
and look for problems.  From above, this URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/bbc_radio_one_video_live

should return the parameters for the webcam stream (what you would see
with --streaminfo for an iPlayer programme).  If it doesn't, something
may be wrong with the BBC metadata.  At the moment, it returns this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><mediaSelection
xmlns="http://bbc.co.uk/2008/mp/mediaselection"><error
id="notavailable"/></mediaSelection>

But that is no doubt because the stream is off-line at the moment.  I
think you'll need to do any checks while the stream is live.  There is
no way to check it after it goes off-line.