infradead is down

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 06:30:13 EST 2013

On 11 February 2013 11:05, Kapitano <kapitano72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/2013 13:39 PM, Chris Marriott wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a compelling reason why the settings, cache, pvr file etc.
>>> can't be stored in the get_iplayer folder itself?
>>
>> > From Windows 7 onwards, an non-privileged application does not have
>> > write access to the "Program Files" folder.
>

> That explains why W7 can only run half of my applications when they're
> outside Program Files. Classic microsoft failure to think things through.
>

>> Hence settings should be stored under either "ApplicationData" (for
>> application-wide settings), or "Username" (for user-specific settings).
>> get_iplayer is correctly following the Windows programming guidelines in the
>> way it stores its data.
>>

> Which only leaves the questions of whether the guidelines are sensible, and
> how easy it would be to give the user the option of storing everything on
> one folder.

It is eminently sensible to prevent non-privileged access to Program
Files.  It is a case of Win catching up with Linux.  On Linux the
get-iplayer program files would normally be /usr/bin (or similar),
which again cannot be accessed by a non-priviliged user, with the data
files stored under the users home folder.  Possibly a solution would
be to provide a command line parameter to get-iplayer which would
specify where to store the cache and settings, then this would allow
running from a usb stick with the  data on the stick also.

Colin