infradead is down

Kapitano kapitano72 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 06:05:06 EST 2013

On 2/11/2013 13:39 PM, Chris Marriott wrote:
>> Is there a compelling reason why the settings, cache, pvr file etc.
>> can't be stored in the get_iplayer folder itself?
> > From Windows 7 onwards, an non-privileged application does not have write access to the "Program Files" folder.

That explains why W7 can only run half of my applications when they're
outside Program Files. Classic microsoft failure to think things through.

> Hence settings should be stored under either "ApplicationData" (for application-wide settings), or "Username" (for user-specific settings). get_iplayer is correctly following the Windows programming guidelines in the way it stores its data.

Which only leaves the questions of whether the guidelines are sensible,
and how easy it would be to give the user the option of storing
everything on one folder.