infradead is down

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 16:01:24 EST 2013

On 10/02/2013 20:23, sarakitty1 at ymail.com wrote:
> Thanks a lot for that :) it does start downloading but then fails at the very end though *AFTER* it's "finished" downloading to 100%? :( Here's the messages it gave from the very start:
> 512569.930 kB / 1749.12 sec (99.9%)
> Download complete
> WARNING: Failed to stream file C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\Charlie_Brooke
> rs_Weekly_Wipe_-_Episode_2_b01qm41n_default.partial.mp4.flv via RTMP
> INFO: skipping flashhd1 mode
> INFO: Trying flashhd2 mode to record tv: Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - Episode
>   2
> INFO: File name prefix = Charlie_Brookers_Weekly_Wipe_-_Episode_2_b01qm41n_defau
> lt
> RTMPDump 2.4 git-6230845 2011-9-25
> (c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
> Connecting ...
> INFO: Connected...
> Already Completed at: 1749.000 sec Duration=1.749 sec
> Download complete
> WARNING: Failed to stream file C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\Charlie_Brooke
> rs_Weekly_Wipe_-_Episode_2_b01qm41n_default.partial.mp4.flv via RTMP
> INFO: skipping flashhd2 mode
> ERROR: Failed to record 'Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - Episode 2 (b01qm41n)'

Reply to the list, not to me.

I think this is due to problems with your settings.  See below.

> Yeah, I installed it manually, in rather bad timing I recently reinstalled Windows 7 so I was copying the get_iplayer folder directly from my old computer, but I couldn't find any user settings in my "c:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\" folders so I'm not sure how it detected it was a "new" install, I guess because I didn't bother to import the registry setting from the old disk, or something else?
> "
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\get_iplayer]
> "DisplayName"="get_iplayer 4.5"
> "DisplayVersion"="4.5"
> "URLInfoAbout"="http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/"
> "Publisher"="infradead.org"
> "UninstallString"="C:\\PROGS\\get_iplayer\\Uninst.exe"
> "DisplayIcon"="C:\\PROGS\\get_iplayer\\Uninst.exe"
> "

The registry entries are only relevant to the installer.  get_iplayer
doesn't use AppData, though I'm considering changing that for the next
version of the Windows installer.  It's one of several things about the
Windows version that isn't very Windows-ish.  At present, the installer
puts global settings in the file C:\ProgramData\get_iplayer\options, and
user settings (including plugins) are stored under
C:\Users\{USERNAME}\.get_iplayer (the leading dot betrays the Linux
lineage of get_iplayer).

I think the fact that you were missing both sets of configuration data
on the new machine caused the problem above.  One of the settings
defines the output directory for the downloaded files.  Your output
shows that, since that option was undefined, you were downloading into
the current working directory for the get_iplayer window, which is the
installation directory for get_iplayer (C:\Program Files
(x86)\get_iplayer).  Unless you've switched off UAC for your account I'm
reasonably sure the downloaded file went into your virtualstore shadow
copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer, where get_iplayer couldn't
locate it after download.  Open C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer in
Explorer and see if there is a "Compatibility Files" button above the
folder contents.  If so, click it and see if your file is there. This is
another aspect of the Windows installation I intend to fix.  There is no
reason get_iplayer needs to run in the installation directory, but if
you installed via the Windows installer it sets things up so you don't
have to worry about that.

Bottom line: wait until Monday and use the get_iplayer installer to set
up your new machine.