Audio bit rate settings

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 09:10:21 EST 2013

On 07/02/2013 13:14, Chris Marriott wrote:
> I don't know whether iPlayer radio channels are the same, but on DAB
> digital broadcasts within the UK, most of the BBC's "talk" stations are
> transmitted at 64k, Radio 4 is at 128k, and Radio 3 at between 128-192k
> (it lowers its bandwidth when part-time stations such as "Radio 5 Sports
> Extra" are operating.) Absolutely no point, therefore, in recording them
> at 320k.

It's slightly different for get_iplayer.  For one thing, the bit rates
listed in the streams' metadata from the BBC don't necessarily
correspond to what you receive.  Radio 4, Radio 4 Extra and national
music stations list 128k and 32k, but you get 128k and 48k.  The
exception is Radio 3 which also also offers a 320k live stream, but no
320k catch-up afaik.  Radio 5 Live lists 128k and 32k, but you get 96k
and 32k.  Regional radio lists 128k, and you get 128k.  Local radio
lists 128k, but you get 96k live and 80k catch-up.  Just to round things
off, BBC World Service lists 32k, but you get 64k.  There are no doubt
some exceptions, but this seems to be gist of what's available.