Audio bit rate settings

Chris Marriott chris at chrism.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 08:14:13 EST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: dinkypumpkin
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 1:00 PM
To: get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Audio bit rate settings

>OP: keep in mind is that the streams available to get_iplayer are intended
>for an in-browser Flash player or a phone, so high quality audio isn't
>exactly a priority.

I don't know whether iPlayer radio channels are the same, but on DAB digital
broadcasts within the UK, most of the BBC's "talk" stations are transmitted
at 64k, Radio 4 is at 128k, and Radio 3 at between 128-192k (it lowers its
bandwidth when part-time stations such as "Radio 5 Sports Extra" are
operating.) Absolutely no point, therefore, in recording them at 320k.

Chris