HD downloads not working

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:45:20 EST 2013

On 03/02/2013 12:57, Chris wrote:
> I've attached a typical log below; I also get the same failure with last
> night's Howard Goodall and Borgen episodes.

Some tips for the future:

1. This problem happens from time to time, so check programmes on the
iPlayer site before thinking get_iplayer might be the problem.  This is
particularly applicable to HD programmes shortly after broadcast.  If
you had checked, you probably would have found that none of your
programmes would play in HD on the iPlayer site.  They don't for me, anyway.

2. Read your logs a bit more closely:

>> DEBUG: (object begin)
>> DEBUG: Property: <Name:              level, STRING:    error>
>> DEBUG: Property: <Name:               code, STRING:
>>     NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound>
>> DEBUG: Property: <Name:        description, STRING:    Failed to play
>> secure/3200kbps/b01qfs5b_1359574714.mp4; stream not found.>
>> DEBUG: Property: <Name:            details, STRING:
>>     secure/3200kbps/b01qfs5b_1359574714.mp4>
>> DEBUG: Property: <Name:           clientid, STRING:    BUFAFVQB>
>> DEBUG: (object end)

"stream not found" means exactly what it says, and it presumably why the
programmes won't play in HD on the iPlayer site.  The problem is at the
BBC end.  There is nothing get_iplayer can do to compensate.  You just
have to wait and try again later.

3. You would be unlikely to know this, but don't bother with the rtsp*
modes.  For all practical purposes they are completely broken.
Eventually I will get the time to excise them along with the rest of
get_iplayer's junk DNA.  Moreover, they point to the same resources as
the flash streams, so if the flash streams are AWOL, so are the rtsp
streams.

There's one extra detail for the Mac: You won't have a "cvlc" command
unless you've created it yourself via shell alias or wrapper script, and
it doesn't appear you have:

>> open3: exec of cvlc --sout
>> file/ts:/Users/aguaportableii/Documents/tmp/BBC iPlayer - Monty Don's
>> French Gardens- Gardens of Power and Passion (High
>> Definition).partial.mp4
>> rtsp://3gp-acl.bbc.net.uk:554/iplayerstream/secure_auth/3200kbps/b01qfs5b_1359574714.mp4
>> vlc://quit failed at /Applications/get_iplayer line 2781
>> INFO: Command exit code 255 (raw code = 65280)

But again, it's not worth the effort.