get_iplayer hangs after 'Started writing to temp'

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Sat Feb 2 05:45:23 EST 2013

On 31 January 2013 00:26, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/01/2013 19:15, alan wrote:
>>
>>> Does this happen when you run atomicparsley on /any/ mp4 file? or just
>>> this particular one?  If it's all, then I'd try reinstalling
>>> atomicparsley:
>>>
>> Jon - happens on any file, and continued after reinstalling atomicparsley.
>> I should have said at the outset that this was on a newly setup vps
>> running a minimal version of Ubuntu 10.04. In any case, I've now
>> installed a more complete version of Ubuntu 11.04 on the vps and got the
>> same problem. I think I'll have to give up on the vps.
>
> The progress display only gets up to 2% or so for small files like "Bells on
> Sunday" since it only takes a few buffer writes to complete the temp file,
> so it's possible the tagging phase was completed.

my attempts to reproduce this problem on 10.04 resulted in ap getting
to 100% cleanly.  what I'm left scratching my head about is what's
different between the "minimal ubuntu 10.04" virtual server that
alan's using, and the not-so-minimal desktop installation of 10.04 on
my VM, and /why/ the differences matter.  I'll have a go at building a
minimal 10.04 installation and see where I get.  don't hold your
breath.

alan, a stupid question: you're not running out of disk space are you?

jon