can someone point me to the list instructions please ...

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 31 16:34:39 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-31 at 20:25 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 31 August 2013 12:33, J K.Eason <john at jeason.cix.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Sorry, was using 'reply all' - will stop that now - thanks for
> >> pointing it out

Argh, no!

Using 'reply all' is exactly the *right* thing to do.

Except in odd circumstances, you *should* be including the sender (and
other addresses which were in To: and Cc: headers) in your reply
explicitly, rather than assuming that they are subscribed to the list
through which you received the message. Otherwise you could be cutting
them out of the discussion entirely, which is extremely unhelpful. So
what if someone gets *two* copies of a message, which they can filter
out if it really bothers them? That's much better than the alternative.

Seriously, read http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html again.

> With gmail unfortunately there is no Reply to List, so I have to use
> Reply to All, and then try and remember to manually remove the one to
> the sender, though I am never sure whether posters want one direct to
> them or not.

If in doubt, do them the courtesy of including them. Always. Again, see
the above-linked page.

>  The biggest problem is that this list is different to
> most that I use, where Reply goes to the list, so I have to remember
> to use Reply to All in the first place, never mind remembering to
> remove the poster.

That's an odd thing to say. If you want to reply in public, you don't
*have* to remember whether the list is one of the broken ones that sets
a Reply-To: header or not, surely? You just do the same thing either
way:

If you want to reply to everyone, hit 'reply all'.

If you want to reply to the sender *privately*, hit 'reply'. And then
check whether the list is misconfigured and has hijacked your private
reply with a Reply-To: header. *THIS* is the time you care about how the
list is set up, not when you actually *want* to reply to the list.

(Some mail clients like Evolution will automatically detect the abusive
private reply and public reply buttons always do the expected thing,
btw.)

--
dwmw2