Saved filename format for recordings

J K.Eason mail at john-eason.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 03:06:00 EDT 2012

> *From:* MrArtist <ta-getiplayer at logonoff.com>
> *To:* get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
> *Date:* Tue, 27 Mar 2012 00:19:30 +0100
>
> Hi
> I just wanted to ask if there's a way to alter the way the
> Get_iPlayer (via Web PVR Manager on Windows) saves programme
> filenames?
>
> Some names can get quite long and I have no need to see the PID or
> the word 'default' at the end of each one. I also don't need or
> like the_underscores_between_words._It_makes_them_difficult_to_read.
>
> For instance, this is a TV show as displayed in my file manager:
>
> Upstairs_Downstairs_Series_2_-_1._A_Faraway_Country_About_Which_We_K
> now_Nothing_p00njdz8_default.mp4
>
> I would prefer to save it as:
>
> Upstairs Downstairs Series 2 - 1. A Faraway Country About Which We
> Know Nothing.mp4
>
>  From what I understand, the actual filename is of no particular
> importance to Get_iPlayer as the actual programme name and details
> are saved and referenced by Get_iPlayer in the download_history
> file so if I ever need that info it can be found later.
>
> The only possible issue I can think of is when using Web PVR
> Manager to view recordings via its internal VLC installation, which
> incidentally I never use, partly because it doesn't seem to work in
> my browser (Firefox), and in any case I prefer to view my folder of
> recordings and watch via double tapping on the file I want which
> opens my separate installation of VLC. But then again, I'm sure VLC
> could be made aware of filename format whatever it is via Web PVR
> if needs be.
>
> So, is there something I can edit somewhere to change the default
> file naming method?
>
> Many thanks

I'd also like to know how to save filenames without the PID and 'default'
on the end, and have been meaning to ask that for ages.
However you can change the underscores to spaces by adding 'whitespace 1'
to the options.
Note that for those using Windows, you'll *also* have to add
'fatfilename 1' to the options or the filename will be truncated at the
first space causing failure to write the file.

Regards
       John (mail at john-eason.co.uk)