How to find a particular episode

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 11:17:23 EST 2012

On 04/03/2012 11:25, Colin Law wrote:
> On 4 March 2012 02:50, Andy Bircumshaw<andy at networkned.co.uk>  wrote:
>> However, this *is* exactly what --pvr is for - when you add a programme using `get_iplayer --pvr-queue 1234` then get_iplayer will look up the PID and store that as the download criteria. It doesn't matter if the index number changes, as it invariably will, because the PID is eternal.
>
> OK, I did not realise that --pvr-queue would do that.  Presumably
> there is a very small chance that the number will change between doing
> the search and issuing the pvr queue command, but probably vanishingly
> small.  Or is it clever enough to get the pid from the previous search
> rather than querying again?

It can't use a previous search, but the index number will only change
when the cache is refreshed (it's the cache that is searched).  So,
unless the cache is refreshed between searching and queueing, no problem.

>> Setting up a daily cronjob for off-peak hours, with only `get_iplayer --pvr` seems easier to me than setting ad-hoc cronjobs for `get_iplayer "some complex search"` and then having to remember to delete each one the next day.
>
> Yes, I think I am convinced, I thought the pvr stuff was more complex
> in basic operation, but I see it can be used to do exactly what I
> want.  Actually I think it does not matter if one forgets to remove
> the cron job as it will not fetch the file again, if I read the docs
> correctly (provided it is still there of course).  Not that I would
> ever to forget to remove the job anyway... ah, crontab -e isn't it?

get_iplayer should just generate a warning if you try to download the
same programme again (without using --force --overwrite) and ignore the
download.