flvstreamer/rtmpdump does not support SWF Verification

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:19:56 EDT 2012

On 27 June 2012 14:02, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/06/2012 13:28, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>>
>> On 27/06/2012 13:15, Lee Savage wrote:
>>>
>>> I have tried different versions of flvstreamer including 1.8 with the
>>> same results.
>>

>> flvstreamer does not (and never will) support SWF verification.  Remove
>> it from your system - it won't be of much use to you with get_iplayer.
>

> Sorry, that was a bit of an exaggeration.  What actually happens with
> flvstreamer is that streaming is periodically dropped and resumed every time
> the server makes a SWF Verification request.  That can sometimes lead to
> hangs or artifacts in the recording, depending on the quality of your
> upstream connection.  Using rtmpdump prevents the continual
> dropping/resuming of the stream because it can respond to the SWF
> Verification requires.  However, rtmpdump may occasionally drop/resume the
> stream if the connection times out, etc.

I use get-iplayer 2.80 on Ubuntu 12.04 from the ubuntu repository, but
I see that I have flvstreamer 2.1c1 installed and rtmpdump is not
installed.  The comment above suggests that this is not ideal, does
this mean that the packaging on Ubuntu is not ideal and that it should
install rtmpdump and not flvstreamer?

Colin