flvstreamer/rtmpdump does not support SWF Verification

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:02:44 EDT 2012

On 27/06/2012 13:28, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 27/06/2012 13:15, Lee Savage wrote:
>> I have tried different versions of flvstreamer including 1.8 with the
>> same results.
>
> flvstreamer does not (and never will) support SWF verification.  Remove
> it from your system - it won't be of much use to you with get_iplayer.

Sorry, that was a bit of an exaggeration.  What actually happens with
flvstreamer is that streaming is periodically dropped and resumed every
time the server makes a SWF Verification request.  That can sometimes
lead to hangs or artifacts in the recording, depending on the quality of
your upstream connection.  Using rtmpdump prevents the continual
dropping/resuming of the stream because it can respond to the SWF
Verification requires.  However, rtmpdump may occasionally drop/resume
the stream if the connection times out, etc.