Problems on a fedora box?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 18:01:43 EDT 2012

On 28/07/2012 17:19, Mex wrote:
> Unfortunately I'm still on 14 (so I could keep GNOME 2.x) and can't use
> the later rpmfusion repos. Is there another way around this?

I don't have Fedora 14 to verify, but you should be able to download the
2.80 RPM file from rpmfusion and install it directly with yum.  Remove
get_iplayer 2.79 first and be sure not to remove any of the dependencies
(rtmpdump, ffmpeg, etc.).  If you don't have all the dependencies
installed, yum will pull them in.  That should be OK.

If you want an up-to-date version, you'll have to DIY. Two options:

Download the latest release:

$ curl -L -o ~/get_iplayer
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/latest/get_iplayer

OR

Download Git HEAD (you'll need this if you want to record live TV):

$ curl -L -o ~/get_iplayer
http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/get_iplayer

You can use wget or whatever downloader you prefer.  Make sure you
download the script into a directory where it will be owned and writable
by you.  This example puts it in your home directory.

Once downloaded, make the script executable:

$ chmod +x ~/get_iplayer

Then run the script once without any arguments:

$ ~/get_iplayer

This will do the one-off update check and plugin download that fails in
2.79.  Once that is done, you can put the get_iplayer script somewhere
in $PATH (e.g., /usr/local/bin).