How do I download embedded audio?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 21:26:55 EST 2012

On 12/02/2012 01:17, bat guano wrote:
>> Can anyone help with the correct commands to get these:-
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world-music/zimbabwe-1988.shtml
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamandjoe/2009/06/retro-text-the-nation.shtml
>>
> Hi
> I don't know whether it's possible to download those embedded audios with get_iplayer.

The Andy Kershaw programme can be downloaded with:

get_iplayer --type=radio
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world-music/zimbabwe-1988.shtml

You need "--type=radio" for audio clips.  This form of the get_iplayer
command won't work with all embedded clips, but it's always worth a
punt.  It doesn't work for the Adam and Joe Programme because the media
resource returned in the iPlayer metadata just points directly to a MP3
file rather that streaming source, and get_iplayer doesn't know how to
interpret that.  So, as BG explained, you'll need to ferret out the MP3
URL and download the file directly.

Another possible way to discover the MP3 URL is to run:

get_iplayer --verbose --modes=flashaudio
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamandjoe/2009/06/retro-text-the-nation.shtml

Note the "--verbose" option.  The download will fail, but as part of the
output log you'll see a line that begins:

INFO: RTMP_URL:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/6music/emp/shows/adamandjoe/audio/RetroTTN060609.mp3

The erroneous RTMP URL contains the direct MP3 URL.