Replace libfaac with aac in get_iplayer.cgi?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 19:04:44 EST 2012

On 23/12/2012 17:55, Martin Campbell wrote:
> I've installed the Git HEAD (on 2012-12-23 by dinkypumpkin) version of
> get_iplayer.cgi from:
> http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/get_iplayer.cgi
> This now works as expected for me. Dinkypumpkin's changes to
> build_ffmpeg_args are clearly better and cleaner than my hack.
> Thanks to dinkypumpkin for pointing me to the HEAD version with these
> changes.
>
> I still have some problems with my browser, but the server is now
> working (as evidenced by get_iplayer.cgi's output to stdout/stderr).
> My server is openSUSE 11.4 Linux 2.6.37 with get_iplayer 2.82 (+patched
> get_iplayer.cgi HEAD as above) and ffmpeg 1.0.1.
> My client is OS X 10.8.2 with Firefox 17.0.1 or Safari 6.0.2, iTunes
> 11.0.1 and QuickTime Player 10.2.
>
> Current behaviour in the Recordings tab is as follows:
>
> Firefox - Play
> Suggests opening document with iTunes
> Downloads tiny file with filename XXXXXXXX.m3u-1.part which iTunes
> doesn't recognise.
> When the -1.part suffix is removed, file opens in iTunes, adds a URL to
> Internet Songs, but won't play it.

The web pvr doesn't do whatever Firefox needs to determine that the
download is complete, so it doesn't remove the .part extension.  I
haven't looked into it, but I would guess it needs a content length
header or something like that.  A workaround is to make VLC the system
handler for .m3u (audio/x-mpegurl) files. That way VLC will launch and
you'll never see the auto-generated filename. Your download directory
will fill up with .part files, but at least you won't have to open them
manually.  iTunes cannot play the web pvr streams, so there is no use in
using it to open the .m3u playlists.

> Firefox - PlayFile
> Suggests opening document with iTunes
> Downloads tiny file with filename XXXXXXXX.m3u-1.part which iTunes
> doesn't recognise.
> When the -1.part suffix is removed, file opens in iTunes, adds a
> "Servername" playlist to iTunes with zero items in it.

Same issues as above with the file naming and iTunes.  However, there is
no point in using PlayFile unless you have mounted your server share
such that the path to downloaded files is exactly the same on both
server and client.  The PlayFile playlist contains file:// URLs that
must resolve properly on your client machine.

> Firefox - PlayDirect
> Suggests opening document with iTunes
> Downloads huge file with filename XXXXXXXX.flv-1.part which iTunes
> doesn't recognise.
> When the -1.part suffix is removed, file opens in Miro or VLC and plays
> normally, but that's not what I expected.

PlayDirect is intended to feed the file directly to the browser (no
playlist indirection) to be handled by a plugin, but the QuickTime
plugin doesn't handle the streaming flv properly.  If you make VLC the
system handler for .flv (video/x-flv) files, PlayDirect will work, but
since VLC is not a plugin, the whole file is downloaded before playback
begins.

An alternative is to set Remote Streaming type to "Disable Transcoding"
in the Streaming settings (the default Auto setting will transcode).
Then when you click PlayDirect, the file will be streamed in its native
MP4/M4A/MP3 form and the QuickTime plugin should work as normal.
However, with M4A files in the plugin I found that I usually needed to
skip ahead and then back to the beginning to get the audio playback to
start.

> Safari - Play
> Adds a URL to Internet Songs in iTunes but won't play it.

Again, iTunes is the problem.  Use VLC as above.

> Safari - PlayFile
> Adds a "Servername" playlist to iTunes with zero items in it.

As above

> Safari - PlayDirect
> Shows QuickTime logo in browser but doesn't play.

You can use VLC as with Firefox.  And again, you can disable transcoding
and QuickTime should work in Safari.  In the latter case, I found that
not all M4A files worked in Safari, but not sure why.