Replace libfaac with aac in get_iplayer.cgi?

Martin Campbell martin at placefarm.com
Sun Dec 23 12:55:15 EST 2012

I've installed the Git HEAD (on 2012-12-23 by dinkypumpkin) version of
get_iplayer.cgi from:
http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/get_iplayer.cgi
This now works as expected for me. Dinkypumpkin's changes to
build_ffmpeg_args are clearly better and cleaner than my hack.
Thanks to dinkypumpkin for pointing me to the HEAD version with these
changes.

I still have some problems with my browser, but the server is now
working (as evidenced by get_iplayer.cgi's output to stdout/stderr).
My server is openSUSE 11.4 Linux 2.6.37 with get_iplayer 2.82 (+patched
get_iplayer.cgi HEAD as above) and ffmpeg 1.0.1.
My client is OS X 10.8.2 with Firefox 17.0.1 or Safari 6.0.2, iTunes
11.0.1 and QuickTime Player 10.2.

Current behaviour in the Recordings tab is as follows:

Firefox - Play
Suggests opening document with iTunes
Downloads tiny file with filename XXXXXXXX.m3u-1.part which iTunes
doesn't recognise.
When the -1.part suffix is removed, file opens in iTunes, adds a URL to
Internet Songs, but won't play it.

Firefox - PlayFile
Suggests opening document with iTunes
Downloads tiny file with filename XXXXXXXX.m3u-1.part which iTunes
doesn't recognise.
When the -1.part suffix is removed, file opens in iTunes, adds a
"Servername" playlist to iTunes with zero items in it.

Firefox - PlayDirect
Suggests opening document with iTunes
Downloads huge file with filename XXXXXXXX.flv-1.part which iTunes
doesn't recognise.
When the -1.part suffix is removed, file opens in Miro or VLC and plays
normally, but that's not what I expected.

Not clear to my why Firefox is adding the -1.part suffix to the
filename, but it's clearly not helping.

Safari - Play
Adds a URL to Internet Songs in iTunes but won't play it.

Safari - PlayFile
Adds a "Servername" playlist to iTunes with zero items in it.

Safari - PlayDirect
Shows QuickTime logo in browser but doesn't play.

The server has a firewall on it, but port 1935 is open.

I can serve the get_iplayer directory using Samba or Netatalk and open
the .mp4 files directly in QuickTime Player.

Any ideas on how I get streaming working? I'm willing to try out a few
suggestions.