Record live stream to MP4

Kevin Lynch klynchk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 03:33:04 EST 2012

We're now in the domain of the possible. I had help earlier this year
on recording a live stream

This was the 5 live studio webcam stream - I can't remember how I got this URL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/emp/5live_studio_stream.xml

Record with get_iplayer:

get_iplayer --url http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/emp/5live_studio_stream.xml

Kill get_iplayer (Ctrl-C) to stop recording.  Or, if you know you want
to record for a fixed length of time (e.g., 1 hour), add this to the
get_iplayer command:

--rtmp-tv-opts="--stop 3600"

The --stop value is specified in seconds.

Here's an example from just now (--force is there to overwrite
existing recordings if there are any)

kevin at kevin-VirtualBox:~$ get_iplayer --url
http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/emp/5live_studio_stream.xml
--rtmp-tv-opts="--stop 7440" --force
INFO: Trying pid:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/emp/5live_studio_stream.xml using type: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
                                                         <lines deleted>
INFO:   audiodatarate         64.00
^C
INFO: Cleaning up (signal = INT), killing PID=4015:.Caught signal: 2,
cleaning up, just a second...
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
0.511 kB / 0.00 sec
Download may be incomplete (downloaded about 0.00%), try resuming
..
kevin at kevin-VirtualBox:~$

I could not record BBC Alba because the stream did not resolve, maybe
someone can advise how to go to the useable .xml URL from this link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_alba/watchlive

kevin at kevin-VirtualBox:~$ get_iplayer --url
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_alba/watchlive
WARNING: rdf URL contained no data
WARNING: PID URL contained no RDF data. Trying to record PID directly.
INFO: Trying pid: bbc_alba using type: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
INFO: No versions exist for this programme

@Madeline - try this command in the get_iplayer command mode

I get failures too when I try the command in my windows get_iplayer

C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>get_iplayer.cmd --url http://www.bbc.co.uk/5l
ive/emp/5live_studio_stream.xml --rtmp-tv-opts="--stop 120" --force
INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/emp/5live_studio_stream.xml using t
ype: tv
INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
INFO: pid not found in tv cache
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashnormal1 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashnormal1 mode to record tv:  -
INFO: File name prefix = BBC_Radio_5_live_studio_stream_-_-_http_www.bbc.co.uk_5
live_emp_5live_studio_stream.xml_default

INFO: Subtitles not available
RTMPDump 2.4 git-6230845 2011-9-25
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
WARNING: Can't resume live stream, ignoring --resume option
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Starting Live Stream
For duration: 120.000 sec
INFO: Metadata:
INFO:   author
<lines deleted>
INFO:   audiodatarate         64.00
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
0.511 kB / 0.00 sec
Download may be incomplete (downloaded about 0.00%), try resuming
INFO: Command exit code 2 (raw code = 512)
WARNING: Failed to stream file C:\iPlayer Recordings\windows\BBC_Radio_5_live_st
udio_stream_-_-_http_www.bbc.co.uk_5live_emp_5live_studio_stream.xml_default.par
tial.avi.flv via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashnormal1 mode
ERROR: Failed to record 'BBC Radio 5 live studio stream - - (http://www.bbc.co.u
k/5live/emp/5live_studio_stream.xml)'

C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>

Perhaps some of the others will comment on the failure I got.

Kevin