get_iplayer Download Olympics In Chunks Tutorial

Matthew Stanfield matthew at i-dig.info
Wed Aug 8 11:45:31 EDT 2012

On 08/08/12 04:14, Matthew Kerle wrote:

> ah, good call. My downloads seem to maxing out around the 2.2GB mark,
> which is about ~1:26:00 into the broadcast. I'll probably have enough
> to start stitching tomorrow. Sadly I seems I can only pull down HD at
> 30% realtime speed, so for 3hour sessions it will take me  about
> 9hours, not counting restarts :-(

First of all Matt let's switch back to the list, reply to the whole list
please (CC me if you want but it's not necessary). By keeping the emails
in the list other people may be able to help if I can't (and I'm far
from expert), furthermore people with the same problem in the future may
be able to get a solution from the list archives.

A lot of my Olympic downloads stopped at about the 2.2 GB mark as well.
Looking through my downloaded chunks, which span 2 whole days of fencing
and total approx. 17 hours of video, I see that only 3 chunks went
through all the way to 4 GB, 2 at over 3 GB, and the rest almost all
between 1.8 GB and 2.5 GB. As I wrote in the tutorial I deleted any
chunk which failed to deliver less than 1 hour of video and tried that
chunk again (guessing: I had to restart about 1 in every 3 chunks). Note
that 1 hour of the 1280x720 Olympics video is about 1.5 GB.

Downloading at 30% realtime speed does not sound good at all. I just
tested my download speed, it's at approx. 300% realtime (i.e. 1 minute
takes 20 seconds to download). My internet connection is fast though - I
have Virgin Media's scorching 100 Mb cable service. 30% realtime is not
fast enough to view the video on the BBC Olympics live video pages, so
something is amiss, I am afraid I don't know what unless it is as simple
as your having terribly slow internet bandwidth or downloading to a
laptop using wireless (not very advisable). Maybe others have some
bright ideas? You'd better reply to this email (to the list) about
whether you have low bandwidth or not, so that can be ruled out as the
problem or not. If downloading to a laptop using wireless, try
connecting the laptop directly to your cable modem/router.

Hope this helps,

Matt