encountered infinite loop "Couldn't resume FLV file, try --skip 1"

Matthew Kerle mattkerle at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 13:52:53 EDT 2012

Hi all!

first, great little piece of software, I'm very impressed! I've just
found iPlayer as I'm trying to watch the HD gymnastic streams without
stuttering on my less-than-HD net connection. This is the first time
I've used iPlayer but I managed to get it downloading happily on the
HD stream except that it hit an infinite loop around the 11minute mark
and I had to ^C out.

I'm trying to watch the Mens individual all-around located here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w2ypc

so I ran

"get_iplayer --pid p00w2ypc  --modes flashhd"

and that worked perfectly, for about 11minutes (I started playing the
partial flv with VLC while it was downloading to check the quality, if
that matters) when I started to get the following in a repeating loop:

INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Retry recording for 'Olympic Gymnastics - Artistic - London
2012: Final (p00w2ypc)'
INFO: File name prefix =
Olympic_Gymnastics_-_Artistic_-_London_2012_Final_p00w2ypc_default
RTMPDump 2.4 git-6230845 2011-9-25
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Resuming download at: 291930.671 kB / 684.000 sec (6.7%)
INFO: Metadata:
INFO:   duration              10071.90
INFO:   moovPosition          36.00
INFO:   width                 1280.00
INFO:   height                720.00
INFO:   videocodecid          avc1
INFO:   audiocodecid          mp4a
INFO:   avcprofile            77.00
INFO:   avclevel              31.00
INFO:   aacaot                2.00
INFO:   videoframerate        25.00
INFO:   audiosamplerate       44100.00
INFO:   audiochannels         2.00
INFO: trackinfo:
INFO:   length                10068001.00
INFO:   timescale             1000.00
INFO:   language              eng
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            amf0
INFO:   length                10071881.00
INFO:   timescale             1000.00
INFO:   language              eng
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            avc1
INFO:   length                10071912.00
INFO:   timescale             1000.00
INFO:   language              eng
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            mp4a
WARNING: Stream does not start with requested frame, ignoring data...
(dozens and dozens of these lines, elided for clarity)
WARNING: Stream does not start with requested frame, ignoring data...
291930.671 kB / 684.00 sec (6.7%)
Couldn't resume FLV file, try --skip 1

I can't see --skip as one of the options on get_iplayer, so I assume
it's a parameter to rtmpdump? If I need to pass params to a nested
call then I'm out of my depth, hence my post here...

I googled and found this
thread:http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267738 but it's
from 2011 and my current version of get_iplayer already has the url
they recommend, so I'm at a dead end!

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or should I just keep
attempting and hope that eventually it works?

I'm using v2.82 on windows 7 installed via the windows installer with
everything installed (Atomic-Parsley, ffmpeg, LAME, MPlayer &
RTMPDump)

C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer>get_iplayer --help
get_iplayer v2.82, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

thanks very much for any help!

--
"life is complex, it has both real and imaginary components"
http://threebrightlights.blogspot.com