Replying to list

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Aug 5 05:57:58 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-08-05 at 10:18 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> But would they not always see it via the list?

No. They might not be subscribed to the list. Or they might be
subscribed, and filter it into a folder they never look at. Read the URL
I gave.

You can almost never be sure that they'll see the message via the list,
so unless you *know* that they will, and you know that they're one of
these weird people who are actually bothered by receiving more than one
copy, you should never remove them from Cc.

FWIW I'm *often* added to Cc on threads that occur on lists that I'm
either not subscribed to, or not reading very often. If some
inconsiderate sod removes me from the recipients, that's a real pain.
Their message (and any followups) will be missing from the thread in my
inbox. I *may* see it in the list folder if I'm subscribed and if I
look, or I may be able to find it in a public list archive. But I'll
hate them for making me do that, and the discussion will probably have
moved on before I can reply. It's *extremely* rude to drop a recipient
from Cc. As I said, please *don't* do it unless you *know* they want you
to.

In the case where you *don't* know the other person's preferences again,
it's about failure modes again. If you drop them, you could be cutting
them out of the discussion entirely. If you don't, the worst that can
happen (unless they have something broken at their end) is that they get
two copies of the message. And that really isn't the end of the world —
if someone is whinging about that, it's hard to take them seriously.

--
dwmw2