Replying to list

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Sun Aug 5 05:38:21 EDT 2012

On 2012/08/05 10:18, Colin Law wrote:
> On 5 August 2012 10:10, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 12:14 +0100, Derek Moss wrote:
> >> OK thanks, I'll do that then. I just thought it would be annoying for
> >> the sender to receive the message via the list and directly.
> >
> > It might be slightly annoying to some people who receive two copies of
> > the email. But it could be much *more* annoying if you rudely drop a
> > participant from Cc and they therefore don't see *any* copies of the
> > email. You should always include them in Cc, and never remove them,
> > unless you *know* that they prefer otherwise.
>
> But would they not always see it via the list?

Often people will have email from the list server delivered to a
separate folder which is only occasionally checked, whereas getting a
copy directly will mean they'll see replies to their post (which
usually they're more interested in than general list posts) sooner.

Also note that some list servers can be set to suppress the list
copy when a recipient is listed directly in the headers, avoiding
the duplicate.  I think that's the default for this list.