-map_metadata fails in WinFF 1.4.2

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:50:52 EDT 2012

On 20/04/2012 14:44, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 20/04/2012 14:31, dinkypumpkin wrote:
>> produces). I tried adding -id3v2_version 3 to the ffmpeg command line,
>> but even though it wrote id3v2.3 frames into the output file, WMP still
>> couldn't read them. So, there is some more investigation to be done.
>
> My oops - forget to re-check mediainfo. Adding -id3v2_version 3 to the
> ffmpeg command line somehow prevented any tags from being copied across,
> so WMP not the culprit. More investigation definitely needed.

OK, I think you just need to update ffmpeg to make this work.  I
downloaded the latest from:

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/

I configured WinFF to use that build (in Preferences) and added

-id3v2_version 3

as an additional ffmpeg command line parameter.  With that, I could
convert a M4A file downloaded by get_iplayer to MP3 with metadata tags
copied across.  The metadata in the resulting file could be viewed in
Windows Media Player.

For whatever reason, the ffmpeg build deployed with WinFF (dating from
last October) couldn't copy MP4 metadata to id3v2.3 format in MP3 files.
  I didn't comb the ffmpeg repo to find out the details, but the latest
build seems to work.