Get Iplayer for Windows

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:07:33 EDT 2011

On 30/09/2011 00:05, bat guano wrote:
> ... Though if we were designing the get_iplayer script now from scratch it might be worth considering FFmpeg metadata to reduce the dependencies and simplify the Windows installer.
> (Perhaps FFmpeg's tagging capability was introduced after get_iplayer was invented)

FWIW, if you were re-building get_iplayer from scratch, and full tagging
support was an key design goal, I would say do it in Python and use the
Mutagen library - no need for external helpers.

I looked into FFmpeg tagging when I re-engineered the tagging support a
few months ago.  The MP4 tagging in FFmpeg is OK, but it still lacks
support for a few useful atoms.  The MP3 tagging in FFmpeg is much more
limited, however.  Unless the BBC moves to AAC for regional radio
programmes, MP3 tagging will be a consideration for get_iplayer.

get_iplayer gathers a lot of metadata about each programme, and I think
you might as well preserve all of that metadata when tagging the files
in order to allow users to catalogue their downloads as they like.
There is a good pure Perl solution for MP3 tagging (now included with
the latest installer), but as I wrote at the time, the pure Perl options
for MP4 were inadequate or buggy and slow, so AtomicParsley stayed in
the picture.

I think it might make sense to implement FFmpeg as the default tagging
option for users who can't (or don't want to) use the full tagging
support.  That way, every file would be guaranteed to have some minimal
identifying info added. That might be good enough for some users.