Get Iplayer for Windows

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 09:17:38 EDT 2011

On 29/09/2011 00:19, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> I went further and trimmed down the installation folder (C:\Program
> Files\get_iplayer) size by:
> 1. Leaving inside the "rtmpdump/bin" folder only the rtmpdump.exe binary.
> 2. Leaving inside the "ffmpeg/bin" folder only the ffmpeg.exe binary.
> 3. Deleting from inside the "mplayer\MPlayer-1.0rc2\" folder the
> mencoder.exe & man_page.html files, as get_iplayer does not use either
> of them...

I initially changed the current installer to do that trimming
automatically, but in the end I decided to be conservative and leave
everything in, the rationale being that Windows users wouldn't get any
surprises and, as before, receive all the same helper app components
that Linux users would get through their package management systems
(though I suspect that doesn't matter to most Windows users).  If we
ever move to a standalone installer, it would definitely make sense to
pare down to the bare minimum.

> As a result, I have a perfectly functioning (in the way I use it)
> installation of get_iplayer with a " Program Files\get_iplayer" folder
> size of approximately 33 MB; add to that another

With the current installer, the equivalent trimmed installation would
use ~55MB.  Most of the extra bulk comes with the updated version of Perl.