Running get_flash_videos (for ITVPlayer) alongside get_iplayer, on Windows

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri Oct 28 16:47:27 EDT 2011

Hi to all :-)
 My windows (Vista SP2 32bit) installation of get_iplayer was done back in
Feb 2011, via the installer v2.2, so I have the "light" version of perl
5.10, sized a mere ~ 5.2 MB inside my "Program Files/get_iplayer" folder. I
have been manually upgrading the script & dependencies (rtmpdump, ffmpeg &
AP) since then and, Thank God, all is in fine working order !
  With the recent talk (albeit "OT") in the list about a get_ITVplayer
equivalent and the mention of  "get_flash_videos" working for some people, I
decided (because I am of a curious nature & more as a challenge, really) to
give it a try. Two things: 1. I didn't want in any way to compromise my
working get_iplayer setup (which is a Perl script, so much I know...); 2. I
have no  knowledge about Perl language, its modules, how to add missing ones
and, in general, no familiarity with open source OSes, package managers,
PPAs etc (I am pathetic, I know...).  Just as a FYI, the original
get_iplayer had back in 2009 ITV support through an "itv.plugin", this was
then dropped...
 So I carefully re-read relevant mails in the list and did an hour's worth
of googling & reading the search results, to aid me in my goal. I found most
helpful this post by Jon:

On Wed Oct 26 09:49:03 BST 2011, J wrote:
>Experienced same problem but found this comment on a bug report and it
>worked for me:
>"It seems that ITV have changed their request format a bit. This fixes it
>for me:>in Itv.pm, find the line
><itv:Platform>Web</itv:Platform>
>and replace it with
><itv:Platform>DotCom</itv:Platform>"
> >http://code.google.com/p/get-flash-videos/issues/detail?id=164

> I'm using WinXP using ActivePerl installer, script and RTMPDump 2.4
>git-6230845 so there isn't a discrete Itv.pm module to be edited as
>everything is rolled into the one script for Windows.
> This was on a "clean" machine with no user programs installed that could
>be disrupted by an ActivePerl installation - didn't want to risk
>stability of my working config.

>JonThese are the steps I took that led me in a (sort of..., see later)
>working setup:

1. I created on my D (non OS) partition a "D:\get_flash_videos\"  directory
(I'll call it GFV onwards).
2. Downloaded and placed inside it the perl script
combined-get_flash_videos-1.24 (435KB), direct link is:
http://get-flash-videos.googlecode.com/files/combined-get_flash_videos-1.24
This version of the script has the WWW::Mechanize module (I have no clue
what that is) incorporated.
3. Renamed the script to get_flash_videos & then opened it with an editor (I
use the free PSPad editor);
I searched for <itv:Platform>Web</itv:Platform>, this was found on line
12889; changed Web to DotCom,
as suggested by Jon, saved the file & exited editor.
4. I placed inside GFV folder a copy of the same rtmpdump-2.4 executable
that get_iplayer uses.
5. I downloaded the x86 portable version of Strawberry Perl 5.12.3.0 as a
zip file, direct link is:
http://strawberryperl.com/download/5.12.3.0/strawberry-perl-5.12.3.0-portable.zip
6. I unzipped the contents of that file inside the GFV directory, which now
is a hefty 184 MB in size.