Quick and dirty fix to get get_iplayer 2.80 working on Ubuntu 11.04

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 09:09:23 EDT 2011

On 17/10/2011 12:08, Jon Davies wrote:
> On 14 October 2011 20:15, Jon Davies<jon at hedgerows.org.uk>  wrote:
>> On 14 October 2011 11:32, dinkypumpkin<dinkypumpkin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Another thing to check: Make sure you upgrade the "librtmp0" package from
>>> 2.3 (from Ubuntu repo) to the 2.4 version in the PPA.  I noticed that
>>> librtmp0 2.3 is included in the base install for Ubuntu 11.10 desktop
>>> edition (it wasn't in 11.04), and the package isn't automatically upgraded
>>> when you install get_iplayer from the PPA.
>>
> If you then add my ppa and install get_iplayer, this depends on
> rtmpdump, which in turn depends on librtmp0.  get_iplayer calls for
> 2.4 or later of rtmpdump, and this gets installed (2.4-something is in
> the ppa), but people are reporting that librtmp0 doesn't get updated,
> even though there's a newer version (2.4-something) in the ppa.
>
> Any idea why?

FWIW, "apt-cache show rtmpdump" output from oneiric -

Ubuntu repo:

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), librtmp0 (>= 2.3)

PPA repo:

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), librtmp0

The version constraint for librtmp0 seems to have gone AWOL, which
presumably explains why the package isn't upgraded.  Maybe something has
gone awry with whatever black magic calculates shared library dependencies?