Quick and dirty fix to get get_iplayer 2.80 working on Ubuntu 11.04

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 07:08:43 EDT 2011

On 14 October 2011 20:15, Jon Davies <jon at hedgerows.org.uk> wrote:
> On 14 October 2011 11:32, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another thing to check: Make sure you upgrade the "librtmp0" package from
>> 2.3 (from Ubuntu repo) to the 2.4 version in the PPA.  I noticed that
>> librtmp0 2.3 is included in the base install for Ubuntu 11.10 desktop
>> edition (it wasn't in 11.04), and the package isn't automatically upgraded
>> when you install get_iplayer from the PPA.
>
> oh.  I thought I'd fixed that!  sorry.

I had a look at what I've done with dependencies, and I'm confused as
to why this breaks. Perhaps someone who knows ubuntu and/or debian
packaging better than I do can help.

In oneiric (11.10) librtmp0 2.3 is already installed courtesy of a
dependency from libcurl3-gnutls (though where the dependency comes
from shouldn't matter)
If you then add my ppa and install get_iplayer, this depends on
rtmpdump, which in turn depends on librtmp0.  get_iplayer calls for
2.4 or later of rtmpdump, and this gets installed (2.4-something is in
the ppa), but people are reporting that librtmp0 doesn't get updated,
even though there's a newer version (2.4-something) in the ppa.

Any idea why?

Arguably rtmpdump 2.4 should depend on the same version of librtmp0,
but that's not the way its packaged in ubuntu anyway (all I did was
steal the existing packaging and update the source).  But it should be
ok, because the latest rtmpdump works with the latest librtmp0.

confused...
Jon

PS. maybe I should go back to the day job and stop pretending to
understand software, it's too long since I wrote code in anger...