Quick and dirty fix to get get_iplayer 2.80 working on Ubuntu 11.04

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 08:30:21 EDT 2011

On 17 October 2011 13:17, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I had got_iplayer working OK under Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bit Desktop &
> Netbook Edition). Then suddenly it stopped working: usual problem was it
> hung when recording. I messed around a lot (including using versions
> 2.79 & 2.80) and it started working again -  I think it was due to
> removing rtmpdump! I do not have librtmp0 package installed.
> libcurl3-gnutls is installed. I have get_iplayer 2.78 installed. I now
> always use the --raw parameter and do any conversion to another video
> format using other software.

There have been lots of problems arising from old versions of
supporting software on that version of Ubuntu.
ppa:jon-hedgerows/get-iplayer includes updated packages (including
ffmpeg, rtmpdump, AtomicParsley) and should work perfectly out of the
box on your system.  Though I understand if you have something working
you might not want to change it...

> I have written a GUI called iRecorder (in
> Gambas) which invokes get_iplayer. This works OK for me. If you want to
> use it, please download it from:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3928731/irec...0.41-1_all.deb
> As it installs, it automatically retrieves the Gambas runtime package.
> It installs in the Other menu group: Gambas appears to have a bug such
> that this overrides my selection of 'Sound & Video'. If you do use
> iRecorder, please let me know how you get on with it.

thanks for sharing this.  With get_iplayer 2.80 (and the various
dependencies installed via that ppa above) you can do most of this out
of the box, which is how it should work (you just shouldn't need to
install extra stuff and write more guis ;-).  This suits me as I run
get_iplayer --pvr-run overnight to download the stuff I watch and
listen to, and it ends up in the format I need without having to do
anything extra.

Cheers
Jon