Quick and dirty fix to get get_iplayer 2.80 working on Ubuntu 11.04

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:11:02 EDT 2011

On 13/10/2011 01:57, Edward Colbourne wrote:
> Like him, I couldn't get the version of get_iplayer in the PPA to work
> at all. This is how I got it working on a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04

I and several colleagues use the PPA version of get_iplayer and its
dependencies on Natty without a hitch, as do others on this list, I
expect.  You don't say what your problem was, so are you certain you had
the same problem as the user you referenced?  He reported:

> ------------
> Connecting ...
> INFO: Command exit code 2 (raw code = 11)
> WARNING: Failed to stream file  via RTMP
> ------------
>
> where should I start looking ?
> ps : as a non-uk user , I always used get_iplayer with --proxy option,

That error comes from RTMPDump, indicating that it couldn't connect to
the media server.  The first suspect would be some problem related to
the proxy.  Are you coming from outside the UK via proxy?  Are you
getting the same error as above?  What are you trying to download?

> 1. Remove any existing get_iplayer packages from the system.
>  etc...

The effect of this installation shuffle is that you have get_iplayer
2.80 running with the versions of FFmpeg and RTMPDump supplied in the
Natty repos from Ubuntu.  Nothing wrong with that, but if there is
really a problem with the PPA build of RTMPDump, we'll never be able to
track it down without some information to go on.