Quick and dirty fix to get get_iplayer 2.80 working on Ubuntu 11.04

Edward Colbourne e.colbourne at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 20:57:02 EDT 2011

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place - I couldn't work out how
to reply to jeanvaljion on the list. Long time reader, first time
poster. I use get_iplayer on both Windows and Ubuntu

Like him, I couldn't get the version of get_iplayer in the PPA to work
at all. This is how I got it working on a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04

1. Remove any existing get_iplayer packages from the system.
2. Use Ubuntu Software Centre to install the get_iplayer 2.79 and
RTMPDump packages.
3. Download get_iplayer 2.80 from
ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/get_iplayer/get_iplayer-2.80.tar.gz
4. Uncompress the whole download to a suitable location (I used
~/get_iplayer_temp)
5. Open a terminal and navigate to where you put get_iplayer 2.80. Then
go to the get_iplayer-2.80 directory (to continue my example,
~/get_iplayer_temp/get_iplayer-2.80/).
6. Copy the get_iplayer file from that directory to /usr/bin .The
command to accomplish this is "sudo cp get_iplayer /usr/bin". You will
have to input your password.
7. Run get_iplayer from a new terminal. You should see the get_iplayer
2.80 message.

I repeat, this is quick and dirty, but it works for me for all TV modes.
If you want radio programmes that work on an iPod, you will have to
update ffmpeg, which means compiling it (not difficult if you know a
little about the command line - there are step by step instructions at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095 ).