Possible solution to the Windows AtomicParsley crashes?

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 11:12:31 EDT 2011

On 8 October 2011 13:18, dinkypumpkin <dinkypumpkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 21:53, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
>>
>> Wide character in print at get_iplayer.pl line 3530.
>
> This is only a warning message, though it's related to the overall problem
> (see below).
>
>> Cannot decode string with wide characters at Encode.pm line 162.
>
> This is a separate error that prevents tagging.
>
>> But, the most recent AP seems to be able to tag correctly my file in 2.79,
>> not so in 2.80, despite the same "Wide character" error...
>
> This problem is not related to AtomicParsley.  The code that generates the
> "Cannot decode string" was introduced with tagging changes in 2.80, so 2.79
> will still finish tagging.  Unfortunately, that was my code - mea culpa.
>
> Short Version:  The metadata contained a special character that get_iplayer
> didn't expect.  In your particular case, the problem arose because the
> metadata contained the encoded entity &#8217; - a 'right single quotation
> mark' in Unicode, more colloquially a 'curly quote' or 'smart quote'.
>
> Long Version: The overall problem is that get_iplayer doesn't anticipate
> programme metadata will contain character entities that are outside the the
> ISO 8859-1 character set.  When that happens, the metadata is automatically
> decoded as UTF-8, and the "Cannot decode string" error stems from attempting
> to decode it again.  The "Wide character" warning stems from attempting to
> write a UTF-8 string to a non-Unicode Perl file handle, in this case the
> handle for the download history file.
>
> I think a patch for this should be fairly simple.  I'll post on a new thread
> when I have it.

I'm also getting this error now (having never seen it before):

INFO: Recorded D:\Users\Cyrus\Downloads\iPlayer\Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_08_10_2011_b015gv6n_default.m4a

Wide character in print at get_iplayer.pl line 3530.
INFO: Downloaded Thumbnail to
'D:\Users\Cyrus\Downloads\iPlayer\Stuart_Maconies_Freakier_Zone_-_08_10_2011_b015gv6n_default.jpg'
Cannot decode string with wide characters at Encode.pm line 174.