Possible solution to the Windows AtomicParsley crashes?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 08:18:43 EDT 2011

On 07/10/2011 21:53, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> Wide character in print at get_iplayer.pl line 3530.

This is only a warning message, though it's related to the overall
problem (see below).

> Cannot decode string with wide characters at Encode.pm line 162.

This is a separate error that prevents tagging.

> But, the most recent AP seems to be able to tag correctly my file in 2.79,
> not so in 2.80, despite the same "Wide character" error...

This problem is not related to AtomicParsley.  The code that generates
the "Cannot decode string" was introduced with tagging changes in 2.80,
so 2.79 will still finish tagging.  Unfortunately, that was my code -
mea culpa.

Short Version:  The metadata contained a special character that
get_iplayer didn't expect.  In your particular case, the problem arose
because the metadata contained the encoded entity ’ - a 'right
single quotation mark' in Unicode, more colloquially a 'curly quote' or
'smart quote'.

Long Version: The overall problem is that get_iplayer doesn't anticipate
programme metadata will contain character entities that are outside the
the ISO 8859-1 character set.  When that happens, the metadata is
automatically decoded as UTF-8, and the "Cannot decode string" error
stems from attempting to decode it again.  The "Wide character" warning
stems from attempting to write a UTF-8 string to a non-Unicode Perl file
handle, in this case the handle for the download history file.

I think a patch for this should be fairly simple.  I'll post on a new
thread when I have it.