Quality Variation (re-formatted!)

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Tue Oct 4 06:08:48 EDT 2011

> >It's like you said, Monday and Wednesday's shows are
> currently 56Kbps,
> >the other three are 192Kbps.
> >Maybe the BBC will do something about it if they receive complaints.
>
> Hi, bat guano :-)
>  Excuse me for saying that, but how do you propose people
> complain about this glitch?

It is an unfortunate mistake, but perhaps the Beeb are using it as a test to
see if anybody notices (or, more likely, someone specified the wrong encoder
settings). The 56 kbps Wednesday encode (b0151r55) is an AAC SBR file (AAC
HE); Thursday's show is ABR 192 kbps AAC-LC. Equivalent perceptual quality
is probably on par, I'll take a listen on the HD 650s at home later tonight.
(Wednesday's show sounds good on my office Tannoy System 8s, at least at
lower volumes).