Possible solution to the Windows AtomicParsley crashes?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 15:26:55 EDT 2011

On 01/10/2011 10:41, Shevek wrote:
> For the adventurous among you, give it a try!
> https://bitbucket.org/jonhedgerows/atomicparsley/downloads/AtomicParsley-0.9.4-hg83.814077d09d34.zip

Two things here:

1. To anyone having trouble with AtomicParsley in Windows - at least
tell us which programmes cause the crashes.  There shouldn't be any need
to be "adventurous" and resort to ad-hoc methods to update helper apps -
the installer can now do it for you.  I'm happy to push updates via the
installer's built-in update mechanism, but good manners dictates that
before I do I should at least attempt to verify that it actually solves
the problem.  I can't do that without knowing where to look.  There has
only been one report to date (by K Reilly) of a specific programme
crashing AtomicParsley in Windows, and it was *not* fixed by using the
build referenced above.

2. There is reason to think that pushing the above-mentioned
AtomicParsley build could be premature. There is a very recent patch -
not yet merged into AtomicParsley - that may also bear on the problem
get_iplayer users have experienced.  See this thread:

https://bitbucket.org/wez/atomicparsley/issue/17/crash-on-some-longdesc

The discussion in that thread squares with what I discovered while
investigating the problem reported by K Reilly.  I've verified that the
specific problem he reported is fixed by AtomicParsley with that patch,
but more than one data point is needed.