BBC News pages

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Tue May 3 17:49:44 EDT 2011

On 03/05/2011 21:19, Andy Bircumshaw wrote:

> Also get_iplayer has (since Phil gave up the project) dependencies on a number of non-core Perl modules.
>
> If you were to install from an RPM then these should be pulled in automatically, or they may already be installed on a RedHat system, but they're probably not installed on OS X by default.
>
> I state this as an FYI in case you're not already aware of this; perhaps you already were.

It should still be OK on OSX.  Apple shovels in a bunch of extra modules
with their Perl installation.  All the dependencies from get_iplayer
2.79 are installed in both system Perl installations (5.8.9 and 5.10.0)
on Snow Leopard.

I think this is a problem with the old version of get_iplayer, and
perhaps some incompatibility with the current metadata formats coming
down from the BBC.  The programmes causing trouble for Rob work just
fine on my OSX 10.6.7 system, with get_iplayer 2.79 and both versions of
Perl.  However, if I use get_iplayer 2.78 I get the same result as Rob,
again with both versions of Perl.  I didn't look any further than that,
but I would seem to suggest that acquiring 2.79 would be a useful thing
to do.