M4A / AAC changes

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:00:57 EDT 2011

On 31 Mar 2011, at 15:39, FJuniper wrote:

> Changing the subject slightly - I installed get_iplayer_setup_4.2.exe from http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/
> I also have an idea that this is all based on v2.79 of something (this naming convention confuses me!).
>
> Is there ever likely to be a v4.3 that incorporates this stuff, or would that be too simple??

Once you've installed via the setup exe, you can update the get_iplayer.pl independently, so it shouldn't usually be necessary to re-run an installer in that case.  The installer actually downloads the necessary files from infradead.org directly, anyway.  In theory you should be able to keep in sync with whatever is current at infradead.org repository without re-running the installer.  Of course, until and unless the ongoing modifications make into the main repository at infradead, you'll have to update manually.

To propagate a patched get_iplayer.pl via an installer would mean removing the dynamic aspects of the installer, i.e., fixing the installation to that patched version, essentially forking the installer.  I think there are a couple of reasons to update the installer, but I'm not sure forking it is the right way to go.  I may do a one-off installer when this M4A business is sorted (people will kind of be stuffed without that patch for radio programmes), but I'll pick that up in a separate thread.