Windows Installer?

Simon Dible simon.dible at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:06:52 EDT 2011

> >  There's clearly makefiles&  scripts files in the repo you cloned on
> >  github that mentions nsis.
> >  The file makensis expects a tarball with perl etc in it but I don't
> >  know the exact contents.
> >  It might just be a tarball distro of Strawberry perl.
> >
> >  Any clues on this would be great.
> >
> >  JOOI Who built the current Windows installer?
> >  Are they on this list?
> >
> >  TIA
> >
> >  -R

The tar is Strawberry Perl just as a tarball, and the Makefile just
pulls the files out out the tar, as David said, this is based on a list
which I got by compiling the script with PAR::Packer

If you want to do it yourself, get the latest get_iplayer script,
install Strawberry Perl with the windows installer from the Strawberry
Perl site. Then open a command line (with Perl in the path) type
         cpan install PAR::Packer
I think that's the command anyway, you might need to Google it. This
installs lots of dependencies like mingw just keep saying yes.
After that is all done type the following where get_iplayer is in your
current directory and Perl is in your path.
         pp get_iplayer -o get_iplayer.exe

This makes a single executable of the get_iplayer script called
get_iplayer.exe that can be run from the command line with nothing else
needed, its actually a zip file with get_iplayer in it, along with all
the Strawberry Perl files needed (and no more). You can open/extract the
exe with 7zip make a list of the files you need and there you go! The
reason for striping the files  from the tar means the build machine
doesn't need pp installed, or even need to be windows, previously it
mean get_iplayer --update worked on windows as the script could
overwrite its self..

As far as NSIS goes, you just need all the files you want in the correct
directories and compile away.

Does that answer your question?
Simon