"Can't use string ("b00fz2zv") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at ./get_iplayer line 1554" when downloading radio programme via PVR

Robin Wilson robin at rtwilson.com
Sun Mar 20 08:09:52 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I've been using get_iplayer happily for a while, and suddenly have this error occurring when I try and download the Comic Relief Comedy Controllers programme (from BBC Radio 4). This occurs when I run the get_iplayer --pvr command, which I run as a cron job every night. This error means that the job crashes, and therefore none of the other programmes get downloaded. I am not a perl programmer, but I am assuming that it is saying that it can't find that PID in the hash of available programme IDs.

I have tried running get_iplayer --flush first to check that the cache of programmes and their associated PIDs is up to date.

Below is the output of --pvrlist and --pvr.

Output from --pvrlist:

get_iplayer v2.79, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

All PVR Searches:

pvrsearch = _Agony_Ecstasy_name_tv
	fields = name
	metadata = xbmc
	modes = flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow
	output = /files/iplayer_downloads
	search0 = ^Agony & Ecstasy$
	subtitles = 0
	thumb = 0
	type = tv
	versionlist = default

pvrsearch = _Comic_Relief_Controllers_name_tv_radio
	fields = name
	metadata = xbmc
	modes = flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow
	output = /files/iplayer_downloads
	search0 = ^Comic Relief Controllers$
	subtitles = 0
	thumb = 0
	type = tv,radio
	versionlist = default

pvrsearch = Now_Show_name_tv_radio
	fields = name
	metadata = xbmc
	modes = flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow
	output = /files/iplayer_downloads
	search0 = Now Show
	subtitles = 0
	thumb = 0
	type = tv,radio
	versionlist = default

pvrsearch = ONCE_b00s8dwd
	comment = Doctor Who: Series 5 - 4_ The Time of Angels (queued: Sat Mar 19 21:59:10 2011)
	force = 0
	modes = flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow
	pid = b00s8dwd
	subtitles = 0
	thumb = 0
	type = tv

pvrsearch = Something_Understood_name_tv_radio
	fields = name
	metadata = xbmc
	modes = flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow
	output = /files/iplayer_downloads
	search0 = Something Understood
	subtitles = 0
	thumb = 0
	type = tv,radio
	versionlist = default

Output from --pvr:

get_iplayer v2.79, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Running PVR Searches:
_Agony_Ecstasy_name_tv
Matches:
12:	Agony & Ecstasy - A Year with English National Ballet: Episode 1, BBC HD, Arts Culture & the Media,Factual,Guidance,Sign Zone,TV, default,signed
13:	Agony & Ecstasy - A Year with English National Ballet: Episode 2, BBC HD, Arts Culture & the Media,Factual,Guidance,Sign Zone,TV, default,signed

INFO: 2 Matching Programmes
ERROR: Failed to get iphone URL from iplayer site

INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow) available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=flashhd,rtsphd)
ERROR: Failed to record 'Agony & Ecstasy - A Year with English National Ballet: Episode 1 (b00z8tp8)'
ERROR: Failed to get iphone URL from iplayer site

INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: No specified modes (flashaachigh,flashaacstd,flashaudio,flashhigh,iphone,flashstd,flashnormal,realaudio,flashaaclow) available for this programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=flashhd,rtsphd)
ERROR: Failed to record 'Agony & Ecstasy - A Year with English National Ballet: Episode 2 (b00zj0vc)'
_Comic_Relief_Controllers_name_tv_radio
INFO: Getting radio Index Feeds
Can't use string ("b00fz2zv") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use at ./get_iplayer line 1554.

I have tried this with both the latest official release (2.79) and the current git version.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers,

Robin